Thursday 3 March 2011

AN ENCOUNTER WITH HENNA


I've had a bit of an experience with my hair this week. Some of my followers may know that I'm currently a red head, but struggling to make my hair hold any bold colour for longer than two weeks. My mum advised the use of the hair dye, henna, which is a natural dyeing agent - it also makes your hair shiny and well conditioned. I managed to find some henna powder from a natural food wholesalers for around £5 for 500g. It is obviously dependant on the length of your hair, but around 250g will do for your whole head.

As you can see from the photos above, you must mix the powder with water and oil then proceed to heat the paste over a pan of hot water. The colour will change from green to a mud like colour - be warned, it smells very earthy! The paste can then be applied once cool to the head. It does feel like you're putting mud on your head, which is such an odd sensation!

One warning - the henna should not be used on hair which has been chemically dyed. Obviously mine has been, so I conducted a strand test first to make sure the hair didn't go green. Sadly the henna seems to strip the hair dye off, and I am left at the moment with brownish red hair!

Despite this, I'd really recommend the henna to anyone who doesn't use other dyes on their hair. It makes your hair very shiny and well conditioned, and it can be used as often as you like. Lush do a range of different colour henna dyes for various prices, and recommend you ask which member of staff has used the henna because you'll love the depth of the colour!

Has anyone used henna? What kind of results did you achieve?

2 comments:

  1. Ive never heard of henna before! I have died my hair before but have recommended this to my friends. Its a shame because I really would like to try that lush one !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lush one does look nice, and I'd love to see the results in shop. I'm unsure how long you have to wait after dyeing your hair chemically before using henna, but I assume until it has faded out.

    x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I read, appreciate and try to reply to them all.